By: Mary Kelley
It’s finally starting to feel like spring! I’ve been putting off spring cleaning my house but I am making sure to “spring clean” my skin care routine. It is important to adjust your skin care routine at home and when you get treatments as the seasons change. Oily skin may protect skin from drying out in the winter but will get clogged in the warmer months; dry skin that needs extra hydration during the colder months may not need as much hydration as the humidity rises; and, all skin needs to be protected with SPF now that the days are longer.
Here’s what you can do to “spring clean” your routine:
- Start a new habit of washing your makeup sponges and brushes on a weekly basis. This should be a year-round habit but if you aren’t doing it, consider this a spring resolution. Keeping your brushes clean eliminates bacteria growth and reduces breakouts.
- Switch to lighter cleansers and moisturizers. Now that the cold temps and dry air have (hopefully!) ended, your skin may not need as much hydration.
- Schedule a skin analysis with your aesthetician. It’s important to make sure you are using the best products for your skin type and a skin analysis will help you understand what products to use and how to use them for the best results.
- Now is a great time to schedule a facial. You skin is the largest organ in your body and you need to take care of it. Your aesthetician can recommend the best facial for you. Typically, an appropriate facial for this season involves treatments that would exfoliate and hydrate dull skin or laser treatments to rejuvenate the skin and stimulate collagen. Dream Spa Medical also combines the best of both worlds with two hydrating laser therapy treatments: The DermaGlow and the HydraGlow.
- Find a sunscreen for your face and body that you absolutely love. As with keeping makeup brushes clean, protecting your skin from sun damage should be done year-round. If you don’t love your sunscreen, you won’t use it. Most moisturizers that have additional SPF added to their formulas do not provide enough sun protection. Now is the time to buy smaller sizes of different sunscreens that provide both UVA and UVB protection and find one that you will wear every day. Personally, I use SkinCeuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense for my face and Image Skincare’s Prevention+ in SPF 50 for my body.
As always, make an appointment for a free consultation with Dream Spa Medical. Our skilled aestheticians can work with you to create a home routine that incorporates products that you are already using and we can suggest new products to give you the best skin you could possibly have for spring!