By: Mary Kelley
Are you looking for a healthy summer glow without the damage associated with sun exposure? Protect your skin while still getting tanned with an airbrush spray tan. Dream Spa Medical uses the all natural Aviva line of spray tan products. Aviva’s tanning solutions offer a wide range of tones and colors to accommodate the fairest of skins to darker, olive skin tones. Because Aviva is all natural, even pregnant women can have a spray tan—but these clients should always check with their doctors first, just to be safe.
The best part, Aviva’s solutions are hypoallergenic and perfect for sensitive skin. While airbrush spray tanning only lasts 5-7 days, there are steps my clients can take to achieve the best results. Before a client comes in to see me, I recommend that clients do the following:
- Do not wax, have a laser treatment, or chemical peel immediately before a spray tan. The skin will be too sensitive and the tanning solution, while it is hypoallergenic, may cause irritation on sensitized skin.
- Do not tan in the sun or use self-tanner for 7 days before your spray tan. This will result in an unnatural result.
- Prep your skin the morning of your spray tan by using a body scrub to remove dead skin. Remember, airbrush spray tanning only changes the melanin (the pigment that reacts to the sun) in the top layers of skin. The more dead skin you remove, you will have a more even and longer lasting tan.
- Come to the appointment wearing loose-fitting, dark clothes. Be prepared to not shower for 24 hours.
In the treatment room:
- Be honest about how tan you normally get after an hour in the sun. Some clients want a color that is darker than their natural tan. Using a darker shade will result in an unnatural looking tan.
- We provide disposable underwear and a hair cap. Some clients prefer to wear a bathing suit and male clients often will wear bathing shorts.
- Be honest about any medical conditions. Aviva Spray Tanning Solution is hypoallergenic but if you have a skin condition that causes extreme dryness or uneven skin, your aesthetician needs to know.
- Wait 24 hours before showering. When you do shower, use a gentle and moisturizing cleanser. Do not use exfoliating mesh scrubbers, loofas, or brushes on your skin. Shaving will also exfoliate your skin and shorten the life of your tan.
- Avoid products that are designed to exfoliate the skin, such as alpha hydroxy acids, alcohol-based products, scrubs, etc.
- The more moisturized you are, the longer your tan will last. Look for moisturizers specifically designed to extend the life of a spray tan.
Two very important things to remember:
- If you have a spray tan on your face, your foundation will not match your skin for a week. You can use the tan as your base color and still use blush, bronzer, and translucent powder.
- Airbrush spray tanning does not provide sun protection. You will still need to use an SPF to protect your skin from UVA and UVB radiation.