By: Mary Kelley
Lash extension are a great accessory year-round but perfect for the summer. Lash extensions are different from false eyelashes purchased in a retail store. Instead of being a long strip of lashes, extensions are individual synthetic lashes that are applied to individual lashes on the upper lash line. When properly maintained, lash extensions are a great way to add a little, or a lot of, glamour to your look.
The first session—called a full set—lasts about an hour and a half. I go over the DOs and DON’Ts for extensions and how to care for the lashes. The treatment itself is very simple and relaxing. I apply an under eye treatment patch over the lower lashes to protect them and have my client keep her eyes closed throughout the treatment. After that, maintenance visits—called fills—take about 45 minutes and should be scheduled every two or three weeks. You can still wear eye makeup, just skip mascara on your upper lashes.
Here are some DOs and DON’Ts to help maintain your lash extensions:
- Come in for fills every two or three weeks.
- Schedule an appointment if you want your lash extensions removed. Trying to remove them yourself can result in damage to your natural lashes.
- Use oil-based products. This will weaken the adhesive and cause the extensions to fall off.
- Use mascara on your top lashes. The extensions will add length, volume, and color to your top lashes. You can use mascara on your bottom lashes. You can still use shadow and liner as usual as long as the products are oil free.
- Rub or pick at your extensions. You will damage your natural lashes, as well as shorten the life of your extensions.
- Spend too much time in steam or under hot water. This will loosen the extensions.
With a little bit of TLC, you can enjoy wonderful lashes all year round. Call Dream Spa Medical today for your free consultation.